Welcome to our own holiday letting portal, THE only place to visit – www.holidaylettingfinder.com

Energy Performance Certificates on Holiday Lets


If you let out a holiday property for a period of 4 months or more, in any one year, you are required, by law, to commission an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and have this available for guests to view.

Importantly, the 4 months are not based on a consecutive period, if the total time the property is rented out in any one year is likely to exceed 4 months you would need an EPC. Another point to clarify is that the judgment on if you require an EPC will be based on the likely rental time in this year and would not be calculated at the year end.

Many people are not clear on who it is that enforces EPCS and if they would be fined for flouting the law on this. In answer to this question, Trading Standards officers are tasked with monitoring compliance with EPC law. Any owners found not to have an EPC in place will be given a fixed fine of £200 per property and will be required to commission the EPC immediately.

If you have a single unit that is self contained, e.g. a house or a flat you will require a residential EPC which is less costly than a commercial EPC. Price can range from around £65 - £110 plus VAT per property.

However, if you own a building that shares facilities such as a kitchen with a number of different parties e.g. a guest house, you would require a commercial EPC, price is based on the size of the property but a typical 6 bed guest house would be in the region of £250 plus VAT.

The EPC lasts for 10 years and provides you with information on how to make your property more energy efficient.

FACT SHEET - Holiday letting energy performance certificates

By 30th June 2011 holiday homes required an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if they were to be let out for a combined period of 4 months in any one year.


Mobile homes, caravans and chalets that have not been subject to building regulations are exempt. Importantly, if the building has been subject to building regulations it will require an EPC. Also mobile homes are classed as moveable homes not, for example, chalets built on foundations.

Commercial or Residential EPC?

If the property is self contained with no shared facilities it will require a residential EPC. However, if the building shares facilities such as a shared kitchen and is not a single self contained unit it would require a commercial EPC, a good example of a building requiring a commercial EPC would be a guest house with shared facilities.

How long will the EPC be valid for?

An EPC on this type of property will be valid for ten years.

Penalties for not having an EPC in place

Trading Standards will be monitoring this legislation, the fine for not having an EPC in place will be £200 and you will need to get an EPC done as well as paying the fine.







National EPC Company logo
The national EPC Company are one of the nation's leading EPC providers, offering not only professional and competitive Energy Performance Certificates, but also energy efficiency advice.




Tel: 0845 626 2256